This is a new recipe we are trying this year. My mom use to make molasses cookie but we lost the recipe. Maybe this will be close.
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 15 min
Total Time: 25 min
- 4 1⁄2 cups Flour
- 4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter flavor shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- sugar to roll the dough balls in
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl stir together flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, and cloves. Set aside.
- In a large bowl beat shortening for 30 seconds. Add the 2 cups granulated sugar; beat until combined. Beat in eggs and molasses until combined. Beat in half of flour mixture. Stir in remaining flour mixture. Shape dough into about 1-1/2 to 2 inch balls. Roll in sugar. Place balls 2-1/2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until cookies are light brown and puffed. (Do not overbake or cookies will not be chewy.) Cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes. Transfer to wire racks; cool. Makes about 50 (2-inch) cookies.